Friday, October 9, 2009

Bread Makers Can Save You Money

I love my bread maker machine! It has opened a wonderful door to all kinds of breadmaking possibilities in our home. When I first got my bread machine and had only one child, I started making our own bread instead of buying it. I was able to make whole wheat loaves of bread for only a few cents, versus paying $2.00 on up at the store per loaf. It's as simple as putting the ingredients in the machine, and it does all the work: the mixing, kneading, and baking.

Now that I have 3 kids, I don't make the homemade bread quite as often. I still use my bread machine regularly, though. Pizza is a popular meal option around here, and while we enjoy the occasional restaurant pizza, I make our own pizza quite often. I use my bread maker to make my dough, as the machine has a setting specifically for dough. This enables me not only to save quite a bit of money, but I am also able to make a healthier whole wheat pizza dough. I came up with my own herbed whole wheat pizza dough recipe, which I will share sometime soon on this blog. My husband has also used this dough to make calzones and baked, stuffed sandwiches.

My bread machine initially cost around $45.00. However, it has more than paid for itself, as it has lasted me for around 6 years, and it is still going strong. If it ever does bite the dust, I will definitely be getting a new one. Currently, I am planning on having Vegetable Cheese Soup for dinner, so I came up with a recipe for an Italian bread, which is baking in the bread machine right now. If it turns out to be any good, I will post that recipe soon as well. We'll see!

thethriftyhousewife

No comments: