Thursday, October 8, 2009

Black Bean Enchilada Recipe

















I'll admit it, the first time I looked at this recipe, I thought it sounded gross. But it's not, it's actually pretty good. We have served this recipe to many different guests over the last few years, always to rave reviews. This recipe I adapted from a recipe in a cookbook pamphlet called "Bean Cuisine".

Bean Enchiladas

2 cups cooked black beans or kidney beans
3 cloves minced garlic or 3/8 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I probably use more than that, enough to cover the enchiladas)
1 can corn, drained
2 cups salsa (I think I use slightly more than this)
Corn tortillas

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add beans, corn, cumin, and 1/2 cup salsa. Cook 3-4 minutes. Spoon mixture into individual tortillas and roll up. Spoon 1/2 cup salsa into 11x7x2 baking dish. Arrange tortillas seam side down, top with remaining salsa. Add cheese, and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I have just a few other notes and tips about this recipe. In order to make clean-up easier, I always spray my baking pan with some non-stick cooking spray. It helps prevent a baked-on mess in the pan. Also, I always heat up the tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds before stuffing them, this helps them to be more flexible and less likely to fall apart. This recipe usually makes about one 11x7x2 pan full, plus an 8x8 pan full when I make them. Enjoy!

thethriftyhousewife

No comments: