Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Standard Crockpot Chili Recipe


I have a standard crockpot chili recipe that I often use. Depending upon the ingredients on hand, I will sometimes deviate from this recipe for something a little bit different. But usually, this is the main one that I use. It has sort of evolved into its own after years of making chili. The family always enjoys it! As a side note, I should inform you that I have a family sized crockpot, and this recipe has been created using that, rather than a regular sized crockpot.

Crockpot Chili

1 - 46 oz can of tomato juice
2-3 cups cooked beans (black beans or kidney beans), drained if from a can
1 pound cooked ground beef
1 - 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or pressed through a garlic press
1/2 cup of uncooked brown rice
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tbsp Creole seasoning
1 tablespoon cumin

Place all ingredients in crockpot and stir well. Cook on high for 5-6 hours.

To make this a vegetarian chili, omit ground beef and add extra beans. For a slightly different flavor, try adding a bit of barbeque sauce to the mix. If I have extra veggies on hand, like bell peppers, sometimes I will dice those up and add those as well. For the diced tomatoes, you could always try canned diced tomatoes that come with the green chilis (yum!). Be creative!

No comments: