Sunday, February 28, 2010

Homemade Softscrub Recipe

Yesterday, I tried out a new cleaning recipe for my bathtub and shower. I have used store bought cleaners in the past, but I really think I liked this softscrub recipe better than those, and it got the soap scum off better than those other cleaners ever did. Plus, it didn't have all the nasty fumes and chemicals. I have asthma, so the fumes of store bought cleaning products really seem to bother me. All the more reason to continue to find and use homemade cleaning recipes! I found this recipe at www.lifeorganizers.com/Organize-Your-Home/The-Organize-Clean/Household-soft-scrub-cleaner-recipe.html .

Homemade Softscrub

1 cup baking soda
1 cup diswashing liquid
1/2 cup vinegar

Mix the baking soda and dishwashing liquid. Then add the vinegar. Use a sponge or a cloth to apply mixture to the surfuce you are trying to clean. Rinse well.

When I tried this yesterday, I used a sponge with a scouring pad on top. I used it to apply the solution to my shower walls and tub. I scrubbed a little bit initially, but I let the solution sit on the tub and shower for about an hour, then came back and scrubbed it some more, then rinsed. I also used it to clean the inside of the toilet bowl, which is now sparkling clean.

On a side note, the rinsing can get very sudsy, since there is dishsoap in the mixture. That was the biggest drawback of this cleaning recipe for me, but since it did an excellent job of removing soap scum, I think I can overlook it. I will be using it again for sure!

No comments: