Monday, December 7, 2009

Make Your Own Sweetened Condensed Milk

This is another little recipe I came across in "The Madison County Cookbook". I didn't know this was possible before I read it, but you can make your own sweetened condensed milk. I know right now, a 14 oz. can of the stuff costs around $2.00. In the recipe notes, it said that the store bought cans of the stuff at that time cost around $1.45 each, but that this recipe only costs around $.25 to make the equivalent. I am sure it costs a little bit more than $.25 in today's economy, but it is still significantly less to make it yourself versus buying it.

With the holiday baking season in full swing, I decided I would give this recipe a trial run before I use it in all of my special Christmas goodies. I have a homemade hot fudge recipe that calls for sweetened condensed milk, so I tried it out on that one. My family couldn't tell the difference, and it tasted the same as it always tastes - delicious! I will definitely be using this recipe more often when I am in need of sweetened condensed milk. And I will also post my hot fudge recipe soon too - it's very simple and very yummy!

Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 cup powdered milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup boiling water
3 tablespoons melted butter

Put all the ingredients into a blender and mix at high speed until smooth. Use this in any recipe that calls for Eagle Brand condensed milk. Makes 14 ounces.

It will be rather thick, but then again, so is canned sweetened condensed milk. This is the equivalent of one can.

P.S. This came from page 233 of "The Madison County Cookbook", copyright 1994.

No comments: