Saturday, December 5, 2009

Instant Cappuccino Mix Recipe - Gift Idea!


I was looking through a cookbook last night that I have had around the house for while. I picked it up at a thrift store about a year ago and have thumbed through it before, but never paid close attention to what was actually in there. It is a quaint country-style-homecooking type of cookbook called "The Madison County Cookbook", ala "The Bridges of Madison County". It is chock full of great recipes, but this particular one caught my eye. I was thinking "thrifty gift" when I saw it.


I have a few ideas to make it into a rather cute gift. I could repurpose some small coffee cans to use to store the cappuccino mix. To make it presentable and cutesy, the cans could be covered in some fancy paper or a nice fabric. Another idea, which is probably what I will do (especially since I just gave my empty coffee cans to my daughter to craft with), is to place the mix in some Mason canning jars and use some ginghamed Christmas fabric over the top of the lid with some pretty ribbon for presentation. Or I could just go and buy some cute decorative containers to gift it in (there are lots of cute Christmasty tins and such for sale right now). I know a few people who would appreciate a cappuccino gift :)


Now on to the recipe. I made some of this mix tonight, and so far the verdict is that it is a keeper!


Instant Cappuccino Drink Mix


1 cup instant coffee creamer

1 cup instant chocolate drink mix

2/3 cup instant coffee

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg


Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container. To make cappucino, mix 2 tablespoons per cup of hot water (add more or less to get desired flavor). Top with whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg, or chocolate shavings, if desired.


I should also add, I like extra spice, so I added a little bit more cinnamon than the recipe called for. It is delicious!


P.S. This recipe is found on page 61 of "The Madison County Cookbook", copyright 1994.

1 comment:

thethriftyhousewife said...

This morning, we tried this mix as an additive to our regular coffee. It's pretty good that way too! Even my husband is drinking it, and he doesn't even like coffee!