Friday, June 18, 2010

Homemade Hurt-Free Antiseptic

A while back, I posted a recipe for a homemade astringent. Now, several months later, I can tell you that I have found another handy use for the stuff. Johnson & Johnson makes a hurt-free antiseptic for wound cleansing, which we have used in the past quite successfully. I have discovered that my homemade astringent also works quite well as a hurt-free antiseptic for cleaning small wounds, cuts, and scrapes. It doesn't sting like peroxide or rubbing alcohol does.

It is really quite simple to make. Take a bottle of witch hazel, add 25 drops of tea tree oil and shake. Shake well before each use. I have used this with my children, and it effectively cleans their scraped knees and minor owies quite well, all without the added pain of standard antiseptics.

For a little bit of information on how this works, witch hazel has both antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. The tea tree oil also has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, but in addition is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. As you can see, using this concoction has the ability to thoroughly clean a wound without the additional pain. And really, it's not that expensive at all to make.

No comments: