Monday, August 2, 2010

Yummy Crockpot Split Pea Soup

This recipe is rather unique, unlike any split pea soup I have ever had before. I really don't care for traditional split pea soup all that well, but this split pea soup I find to be quite delicious! It is different, but oh so yummy!

Split Pea Soup

2 cups green or yellow split peas, sorted and rinsed
6 cups water
1/2 cup dry sherry or apple juice
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves finely chopped garlic
6 bouillion cubes
3 cups firmly packed spinach leaves
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons fresh dill weed

Combine split peas, water, sherry/apple juice, sweet potato, onion, garlic, and bouillion cubes in crockpot. Allow to slow cook on low for 10-11 hours, or on high for 5-6 hours. Stir in spinach, cream, and dill. Cook for an additional 1/2 an hour.

I have also used a few substitutions in this recipe when I didn't have all the ingredients on hand. Sometimes I have used carrots in place of the sweet potato (about 2 cups), sometimes I have used regular milk or plain yogurt in place of the cream. It always ends up tasting great to me!

I adapted this recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook entitled "More Slow Cooker Recipes".

No comments: