Saturday, January 21, 2012

Prepare & File Your Taxes For Free Online

It's that time of year again!  The dreaded tax season (cue scary music).  For many years now, I have used Free File through the IRS to use H&R Block software to complete and file our tax return for free.  It's relatively simple and straightforward, and usually any questions I have are answered by the text boxes on the H&R Block website.  I mostly just input my tax information (W-2's, other miscellaneous tax information), and the computer software does all the math.  Of course, if you have a really complicated tax situation, you may want to hire a tax preparer to do your taxes.  To qualify, your adjusted gross income must be less than $57,000, and you must be under 52 years of age.  On the IRS website, it stated that 70% of all taxpayers fall into that category - so that would mean a majority of taxpayers are eligible for this. 

To take advantage of Free File, you must access the commercial tax software through the IRS website.  If you go straight to the company you want to use, you will be charged.  Here is the the link directly to the IRS Free File page.  Follow the links on that webpage to find and select the tax preparation company of your choice.  Good luck, and happy tax preparing (is there such a thing?)!

No comments: